(Above image is a capture of a wall mural at Govan.)
Govan which is part of Glasgow (about three miles from the city centre) and located on the south bank of the River Clyde. Population is 32,000.
Whilst not a key tourist destination Govan has lots to offer the visitor including:
- Govan Old Parish Church (Presbyterian) which is located on an early Christian site perhaps dating back 1500 years.In relative terms the Govan Christian community reached its zenith in the 9th and 10th centuries as manifested in the existence of 30 sculptured stones plus the Govan Sarcophagus, a beautifully carved shrine coffin which represents the earliest example of art in the Glasgow region.The Old Parish Church housing the ancient stones (866 Govan Rd, Glasgow G51 3UU) is usually open to visitors between April and October each year.
Carved Sarcophagus from 9th century AD.
Scandinavian influenced 'hogback' grave markers.
- A long ship-building tradition, which reached its peak in the early 20th century and continues today under BAe Systems which builds various types of military vessels.The former dry docks (now abandoned) are still visible pending re-development. These 'Graving Docks' were built in the late 19th century to handle ship repairs and overhauls.This abandoned industrial site is high risk and should not be entered without appropriate permissions.
As illustrated below, Govan has many old and interesting buildings plus statues to shipbuilding magnates and philanthropists such as Sir William Pearce and John Elder.
Persons who wish to connect with Govan’s shipbuilding past can visit the Fairfield Shipbuilders Heritage Visitor Centre.
BAe Systems Shipbuilders (Fairfields).
Modern architecture at Govan
Statue of philanthropic, 19th century ship builder, Sir William Pearce
Former Town Hall now used as film studios