(Above image is a capture of the centre of Aberfeldy.)
Aberfeldy is a popular village on the banks of the River Tay in Perthshire, central Scotland, about seventy-five miles north of Edinburgh. Population is about 2000 persons and the name indicates the antiquity of the site as it is actually of Brittonic (Welsh) origin, inspired by the name of local water-sprite and probably pre-dates the Gaelic speaking Scots who arrived around the 6th century AD.
There is much to see here with key sites including:
General Wade’s Bridge
This dates from 1733 as part of a British Government road building project to control and police the Scottish Highlands. The bridge was designed by leading Scottish Robert Adam and took two years to build. It is still in operation today.
There is a history of distilling in the locality from 1825 but the current production facility has a history dating from 1896 when John and Tommy Dewar built the distillery. Subsequently, two ownership changes have occurred with the distillery now forming part of the drinks portfolio of the Bacardi Corporation.
Other facts and information concerning Aberfeldy Distillery:
- Production capacity of 3.5m litres p.a.
- Equipment includes one stainless steel mash tun, eleven washbacks and four stills.
- Much of the production goes into Dewar’s blends including White Label. The Visitor Centre is branded as ‘Dewar’s World of Whisky’.
- Core range of single malts comprises a twelve year-old and a twenty-one year-old
Ranked by some as the best (bookshop) in Britain.
Black Watch Memorial
Built on bank of the River Tay (near to General Wade's Bridge) in recognition of raising of the Black Watch, one of Scotland’s oldest and most prestigious regiments. The regiment was raised in the field on the opposite bank of the River Tay during May 1740, a time when the Jacobites posed a threat. The regiment’s raison d’etre was to ‘watch’, i.e. police the Highlands. The name reflects the dark tartan worn as uniform.
A nine-hole course located close to the Black Watch Memorial.
Birks of Aberfeldy
A trail up a steep, scenic gorge alongside the Moness Burn (stream). Made famous by Scotland's national poet, Robert Burns.
A late Neolithic stone circle located about four miles to the west on the road to Kenmore on left hand side of the road.. This is one of the most impressive prehistoric circles on mainland Scotland.
The rapids at Grandtully (pronounced "Grantly") is a very popular location for white water sports with specialist companies providing various experiences at the site. Grandtully is about 6 miles N.E. of Aberfeldy along the A827. Turn left at Inn on the Tay if approaching from Aberfeldy.
Kenmore and Loch Tay
About 7 miles S.W. is the village of Kenmore which sits at the northern tip of Loch Tay. Here is Scotland's oldest inn, the Kenmore Hotel and the Crannog Centre, a reconstructed, high status iron-age dwelling from around 2000 years ago.
Crannog Centre at Kenmore
About 2 miles west, past the village of Weem is Castle Menzies which is usually open to visitors. Look out for turning right after passing through Weem.
Aberfeldy benefits from a wide range of accommodation plus various shops, pubs and a cinema.