Art & Craft in Scotland
(Above image is a capture of the Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow.)
Scotland is well endowed with a wide range of galleries, artists and crafts people.
Here is a non-exhaustive listing of galleries and workshops which may be of interest to visitors:
- Scottish National Gallery, The Mound EH2
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery, 1 Queen Street, EH2
- Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Belford Road, EH4.
- Royal Scottish Academy, The Mound, EH2.
- Dovecot Studios: Fine Art Tapestry at 10 Infirmary Street, EH1.
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, Argyle Street, G3
- Gallery of Modern Art, Royal Exchange Square, G1.
- Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow, 82 Hillhead Street, G12.
- McManus Art Gallery & Museum. Albert Square.
- V&A Dundee, Riverside Esplanade, DD1
Smith Art Gallery & Museum, Dumbarton Road, FK8
For a listing of artists and galleries check website crossing-borders.org.uk
Isle of Skye and Lochalsh
For a listing of local arts and crafts participants refer website art-skye.co.uk
Outer Hebrides (Includes Lewis and Harris)
For a listing of local arts and crafts participants refer website visitouterhebrides.co.uk/see-and-do/culture-and-heritage/arts-and-crafts.
Dyeing wool on Harrus
For a listing of local arts and crafts participants refer website creative-orkney.com
Pottery on Orkney
For a listing of local arts and crafts participants refer website shetland-heritage.co.uk/traditional-crafts
Caithness Glass at Crieff in central Scotland.
Refer this website for information: caithnessglass.co.uk/visit-caithness-glass
Heather Gems, Pitlochry, central Scotland.
Manufacture and sale of silver and pewter jewellery made using natural Scottish heather stems. Refer this website for more information: heathergems.com/about/viewing-gallery-and-shop
Fife Coast, eastern Scotland
- Crail Pottery, a family run commercial pottery at 5 Nethergate, Crail, KY10. Website: crailpottery.com
- East Neuk Open Studios, an annual Art Trail taking in over 50 artist and designer studios and workshops throughout the eastern corner of Fife. Website: eastneukopenstudios.org
Workshop and sales at Castle Keep, Isle of Skye. Refer website:castlekeep.co.uk
Workshop and sales at Fort Augustus, on southern tip of Loch Ness. Refer this website for more information:icebergglass.com
Leather accessories, including sporrans, manufactured using traditional skills. Sales outlet at The Harness Room, Bowfield Road, Johnstone, PA9 (about 17 miles S.W. of Glasgow). refer website:.mcrostie.co.uk
West Kilbride Craft Town
Located about 32 miles S.W. of Glasgow, close to the Ayrshire coast. Here are 9 studios plus the Barony Centre with latter being a craft exhibition, education and events venue.