Luss, Loch Lomond
(Above image is a capture of the beach at Luss, in summer, with Ben Lomond in distance.)
Summary information on Luss as follows:
- History dates back to the 6th century or even earlier. Early Christian missionary, St. Kessog visited in AD 510 and there is a Viking-era burial in the churchyard from the 9th century.
- The name is derived from the Gaelic for ‘plant’ or ‘herb’.
- The current church (Presbyterian) was built 1875 by local Laird,Sir James Colquhoun in memory of his father who had drowned in the Loch in a boating accident. The church roof is constructed in the shape of an upturned boat in recognition of the drowning event. This is the latest in a long line of Christian places of worship on the site. St. Kessog’s Church is a popular venue for weddings with technology for broadcasting services of all kind around the world via the internet.
- For many years Luss was. literally, a film set when used as a backdrop for a T.V. soap named ‘Take the High Road’.
- Visitor numbers exceed 750,000 each year. The village is exceptionally busy during peak months of July and August.