Corgarff Castle in the Scottish Highlands, a remote building with long and chequered history
A brief history of the castle is as follows:
- Built about 1550, possibly by the Forbeses, a powerful Aberdeenshire family.
- During November 1571 the castle was raided by Clan Gordon in context of warfare between the two clans. Corgarff Castle was burned resulting in 24 casualties.
- In 1607 the castle was occupied by a band of outlaws.
- In 1645 Corgarff was occupied by Royalist forces under the Marquis of Montrose.
- During 1689-90 was set ablaze by Jacobite forces.
- Used by the Earl of Mar to launch the 3rd Jacobite uprising in 1715.
- Occupied by Jacobite forces during the uprising of 1745-6 then by the opposing Redcoats.
- Converted to Redcoat barracks after the Battle of Culloden in 1746.
- Returned to private hands in 1802 when it was rented by one James McHardy.
- Re-occupied by the military in 1827 to use as a base for policing illicit whisky production in the Highlands.
- Finally vacated by the military in 1831 and then progressively fell into decay.
- Restoration commenced after transfer to Government care in early 1960s.
The name deriveds from coire garbh which translates as 'rough corrie' with corrie meaning a hollow in a Highland hill.
The castle is open to visitors between April and September.