London's famous Tower Bridge
This evening, I am reporting on the iconic, Tower Bridge which crosses the River Thames at Southwark, London, England. It is located close to the Tower of London-hence name.
Summary information as follows:
- A combined bascule and suspension bridge which was built between 1886 and 1894.
- Designed by Horace Jones in collaboration with John Wolfe Barry.
- Construction period was eight years employing 432 workers each day.
- Features a giant moveable roadway which lifts up for passing ships. The bridge is raised approximately 850 times each year.
- Considered a world-class feat of engineering.
- Tours of the bridge are available.