Lower Slaughter: A quintessentially English village in the Cotswolds region.
There has been a settlement here for about 1000 years. The name derives from the Old English for ‘muddy place’.
Character is due to the quaint limestone cottages lining the banks of the gentle flowing River Eye which is, effectively, the village’s main street.
Tucked away is a former water powered mill which is now a craft-centric visitor attraction. The water wheel still turns, albeit for cosmetic effect.
To complete the classic English ambience, the 13th century St. Mary’s Church with its characteristic spire stands close to the stream and is normally open to the public.
Lower Slaughter is near to Bourton-on-the-Water and other popular Cotswold visitor sites, about ninety miles N.W. of London.