Alnwick Castle: A massive, near 1000 year old, fortress in Northumberland
This afternoon, I am posting information on Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, N.E. England.
Summary facts and information:
- Located 35 miles north of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Original construction dates from 1096 with many subsequent additions and embellishments.
- Owned by the powerful Percy family since 1309. Descendent, Duke of Northumberland and his family, still occupy part of the castle.
- Ranks as second largest inhabited castle in England.
- Has featured in many films and TV shows including Harry Potter.
- Adjacent to the castle is the Alnwick Garden, the centrepiece of which is a cascading fountain.
Broomnstick flying tutors at Alnwick Castle
Cascade at Alnwick Castle Gardens