Porthmadog, Wales: A hub for steam train enthusiasts.
This evening, I am posting information on Porthmadog (Portmadoc) a popular town which sits close to the coast of Tremadog Bay in North Wales.
Porthmadog is good base to visit places and sites such as Criccieth, Snowdonia National Park, Anglesey, Caernarfon, Llanberis, Betws-y-Coed and LLandudno.
Other facts and information concerning Porthmadog:
- Popular with Steam Train enthusiasts. Both the Ffestiniog Railway and Welsh Highland Railway operate from/through the town. A little further afield is the Snowdon Mountain Railway.
- Population 4200.
- Developed from a 19th century port focused on exporting slate.
- Wetland images below show estuary of Afon Glaslyn which is a haven for bird life including Oystercatchers, Redshanks, Curlews and Terns.
- Sits close to a hill known as Moel-y-Gest which reaches 863 feet.
- Porthmadog has good shopping facilities plus restaurants, hotels and other accommodation for visitors.