This evening, I am posting information and images relating top the ancient town of Colchester in S.E.England.
Rose and Crown
Colchester is a historic market town in the county of Essex which in turn is within S.E. England. The town occupies the site of what was Camulodunum, the first major Roman city in, and sometimes capital of, Roman Britain. Colchester claims to be the oldest recorded town in Britain. There has been a military garrison in the town since the Roman era. Currently Colchester is home to the 16th Air Assault Brigade. Population is about 138,000.
Charlie Brown's, circa AD1330.
- The town is situated on the River Colne and is about 50 miles N.E. of London.
- There are road rail connections with London.
- Nearest airport is Stansted, about 30 miles away.
- Colchester Castle is a huge Norman keep, built on the foundations of a Roman temple.
- The town's museum displays artefacts up to 2,500 years old.
- Hollytrees Museum, is a Georgian townhouse displaying 3 centuries of clothing, clocks and decorative arts. Nearby, in the Dutch Quarter, are the remains of a Roman theatre.
Old Siege House Restaurant