Although relatively young by Scottish standards, having been founded in 1817, Dufftown is within walking distance of Mortlach Church which was founded in AD 566 and ranks as one of the oldest places of continual worship in Scotland.
Ancient Pictish Cross with church in background.
More facts and information:
- Population about 1700.
- Home to a high concentration whisky distilleries:Pittyvaich (demolished 2002), Dufftown, Mortlach, Glendullan, Parkmore (closed 1988), Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Kininvie and Convalmore.
- Located between rivers Dullane and Fiddich and the Conval Hills.
- Home to the Keith and Dufftown Railway, a volunteer run ‘Whisky Line’ which operates between Dufftown and Keith.
- For the active there are fourteen separate walking paths in and around Dufftown.
- Home to a ‘Whisky Museum’ and Whisky Shop.
- Well endowed with shops, restaurants, hotels and other accommodations.
- Dufftown Golf Club is located on Tomintoul Road.
- Balvenie Castle (12th century) is located near Glenfiddich Distillery.