Elie on Scotland's Fife Coast: Extensive sandy beaches on a hot day.
Summary information on Elie as follows:
- Benefits from an extensive sandy beach which is used for a wide range of water sports including windsurfing, canoeing, sailing, pedalos, boat trips, inflatables and water-skiing.
- Most westerly of the East Neuk villages.In past days its golden sands attracted many holidaymakers. A causeway leads to a rocky islet with panoramic views and the busy water sports centre.
- Thirteen miles directly south of St Andrews.
- Combined with nearby Earlsferry, population is about 940.
- Origin of name is uncertain. Possibly a derivation of the Gaelic word for island (which it once was) or from the Old English ‘isle of eels’.
- Incorporated in the route of the Fife Coastal Path.