Deanston Distillery, a mid-ranking whisky producer in central Scotland
(Above image illustrates whisky tastings at Deanston)
This evening, I am reporting on Deanston Whisky Distillery which is located on the banks of the River Teith at Doune in Perthshire, about eight miles N.W. of Stirling and its famous castle.
Summary facts and information:
- South African owned and within same corporate group at Tobermory Distillery (Isle of Mull) and Bunnahabhain Distillery (Islay).
- Founded 1966 on a former water-powered cotton mill site which dates back to 1783.
- Produces 3,000 litres of spirit per annum and thus a mid-ranking distillery.
- Malt is non-peated and matured in, predominantly, ex-bourbon casks.
- Main single malt product is 12 year old. Most of output is used in blends.
- Four stills.
Stills at Deanston
Mash Tun at Deanston
Maturing whisky casks at Deanston
Interestingly, Deanston has its own hydro scheme for generating electricity with surpluses sold to Britain’s National Grid.