Mangerton was a Tower House and important power base for the Armstrongs at a time when the entire Borders region was lawless. There is a record of one Alexander Armstrong at the Tower in 1378 followed by Armstrong family ownership through to 1629 when the property was transferred to Francis Scott, Thereafter, the Tower appears to have gone into decline and now just comprises the base and foundations. There is an armorial, stone dated 15(8?)3 with initials S.A. and E.F.
To get a flavour for the structure in its heyday refer this report on nearby Gilnockie Tower.
The Tower is located in low-lying pastureland and can be accessed via a rough farm track which follows a defunct railway line.
An important relic for members of Clan Armstrong and others interested in the history of the Scottish Borders.