Mackintosh House, Glasgow
Mackintosh House at Hunterian Art Gallery,
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) is probably Glasgow’s most celebrated architect and designer. From 1906 to 1914 Mackintosh and his wife, Margaret MacDonald lived at 78 Southpark Avenue (originally 6 Florentine Terrace). During period of his occupation Mackintosh remodelled the interior in his own distinctive style.
After Mackintosh’s death the house was bought by one William Davidson who gave it to the Hunterian Art Gallery. The house was demolished in the 1960s but reconstructed in 1981 as an integral part of the Hunterian, only a block away from site of the original.
Mackintosh House, Hunterian Art Gallery, Glasgow
The Hunterian Art Gallery is located at 82 Hillhead Street. Here can be found collections of:
- Dutch and Flemish Art
- Scottish Art
- Glasgow Boys
- Scottish Colourists
- Prints and Drawings
The Hunterian Art Gallery