Holm Cultram Abbey, England
Founded by (Roman Catholic) Cistercian monks in 1150, the buildings survived the 1540 Dissolution because of the refuge they provided to the local population during turbulent times, including attacks from the Scots. The building which remains is the heavily restored and repaired Abbey Church which is now the local Parish Church within the (Protestant) Anglican Communion.
Holm Cultram was founded by monks from Melrose Abbey in Scotland who may well have been attracted by the local resources which included rich farmlands, fishing, salt extraction and quarrying. In medieval times monks were expert at managing the local economy and the Abbey accumulated wealth and prestige through supply of wool and farming.
Unfortunately, Holm Cultram was situated in the buffer zone between England and Scotland and suffered considerable damage from Scots raids during the 14th century and later years.
Post Dissolution, only the Church was maintained leaving the extensive other buildings vulnerable to looting by local residents for stonework and other materials.
The Church was subject of extensive repairs in the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Further repairs were undertaken following an arson attack in 2006.
Holm Cultram is of interest to visitors interested in art, history, architecture and Christianity.