Bishop Auckland, England
This evening, I am posting information on the market town of Bishop Auckland in County Durham, N.E.England.
Summary facts and information:
- Located close to the merging of the rivers Wear and Gaunless.
- Has a history dating back to Roman times. Located on Watling Road which was the Roman Dere Street.Nearby is the Roman archaeological site of Binchester.
- Close by at Escomb, is an Anglo-Saxon church which may be the oldest church in Britain.
- Names is derived from the residences of the Bishops of Durham.
- Population is about 25,000.
- Was a colliery town (deep coal mining).
- Comedian, Stan Laurel spent his childhood years in the town and was baptised there is 1891.