Shipston-on-Stour: An excellent base for touring the Cotswolds
This evening, I am posting information on the quaint and attractive English town of Shipston-on-Stour key features of which are:
- Centrally situated in the Cotswolds region with easy access to such popular locations as
- Stratford upon Avon, Warwick (and its famous castle,Oxford (and its colleges), Chipping Campden and the prehistoric Rollright Stones.
- Approximately one hundred miles N.W. of London.
- Well endowed with a range of accommodation from B&Bs through to inns and hotels.
- Historic prosperity derived from the wool and textile industries which is reflected in examples of impressive domestic architecture.
- The name essentially means ‘sheep wash town’ with a lineage dating back to the Saxon period of around 770 AD.
- Sits on the bank of the River Stour which is a tributary of the River Avon.
- Home to a wide range of small shops.